By the late eighteenth century a Methodist Society had been organized in this area. In 1888, two years after the construction of Carey’s Church, the first official Carey’s Camp Meeting was held in the grove adjoining the church. These first meetings, known as bush or basket meetings, were held under temporary shelters made of boughs lashed together. The Camp now consists of a series of cottages or “tents”; which circle an open frame structure called the tabernacle. Annual worship services are held here for two weeks during the summer. Carey’s Camp was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
About Carey’s Camp